TimTam Power Massager v1.5 Review – Should You Get One?
Massage is a great way to recover from an intense training session.
Unless you’re a professional athlete or Bill Gates, you likely can’t afford a massage session after each workout.
So what’s the answer?
Percussion massagers like the TimTam Power Massager have been very popular these days among professional and amateur athletes.
In this article, we’re going to do an in-depth review of the TimTam Power Massager and let you know if a good massager for you.
What Is The TimTam Power Massager?
The TimTam Power Massager is a handheld deep tissue percussion massager that is used as a warm-up before a workout, to help in muscle recovery after a workout, and to relax the knots and tension in overworked muscles in the body.
It looks like a power tool with a threaded shaft that delivers a strong percussion massage with 2,500 strokes per minute.
The power massager was designed with input from physical therapists (PTs), coaches, and pro-athletes.
The end result is a product that will let you train harder and more often without fear of overdoing it and damaging your muscles via micro-tearing and too much lactic acid build up.
When you use the Power Massager after training sessions or in treating an injury, you increase recovery time by up to 30%.
Speaking of a speedy recovery, 5 minutes with the Power Massager is equivalent to a 30-minute massage session with a therapist.
This is a DIY, take-anywhere-with-you, compact massager that you can use immediately after your training session without the need to wait your turn for the therapist to finish with another patient.
You should notice improvements in your performance with regular use after training sessions.
Expect a reduction in muscle inflammation and improvements by 2% to 5%.
Where To Use This Percussion Massager?
The TimTam is versatile and can be used in various parts of the body – from the neck to the feet.
Use it on the back of your neck, the shoulders, the upper back for frozen shoulders and stiff necks.
Apply it to the upper and lower back muscles for back pain and stiffness.
Improve your range of motion by using it on your deltoids, upper arm and forearms, and chest muscles.
Treat cramps in your legs, forearms, and hands, carpal tunnel in your hands and wrists, and tennis elbow.
Use it to strengthen and increase the flexibility of your glutes, the hip flexors; and hamstrings, quads, and adductors in your thighs.
And give your calves and shins greater flexibility, and treat plantar fasciitis pain in your feet.
Who Is This For?
As we mentioned, the TimTam Power Massager was created in consultation with PTs, sports coaches, and professional athletes themselves.
Their input is valuable due to their first-hand experience with muscles strain and injuries, and the best courses of treatments to ensure a fast and full recovery.
Some of the TimTam’s users include professional athletes from renowned sports teams in the NFL, NBA, and MLB.
MMA fighters from the UFC, and Olympians and their training coaches are also known to use the TimTam to aid in their recovery after intense training.
Sports therapists and physiotherapist are also fans of the compact massager as its portability and small size lets you use it any time while on the go.
Lastly, there is usual gym-goer who use it after a training session at the gym for faster muscle recovery or just the regular folks for their aches and pains.
The Benefits of Using A TimTam Power Massager
Similar to a traditional massage, the use of the TimTam Power Massager also brings with it wonderful health benefits.
The first benefit is rehabilitation.
Use of the TimTam increases the blood flow to the injured area.
Injuries heal faster when there is increased blood flow which brings with it oxygen-rich blood that will help to repair the microtears in muscles and lessen scarring.
The second benefit is to speed up muscle recovery after a workout.
Experiencing pain after a workout is usually not a good sign.
Discomfort is normal after intense workouts, but actual pain could be a sign of an injury.
Using the TimTam on sore muscles relaxes the tightness and contractions or the muscles, and helps to release the lactic muscle build up in the muscles, which causes that heavy feeling.
A third benefit is relaxation and wellness.
A relaxed body has lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
Low levels of cortisol are required for certain body functions, but too much can lead to complications such as elevated blood pressure, lowered immunity against diseases, and a broken circadian rhythm leading to difficulty sleeping.
The last benefit is pain reduction.
Less muscle pain leads to better performance.
With greater control of your muscles, you are able to perform better, about 2%-5%, that may lead to the establishment of new world records.
You can learn more about the benefits of percussion massage from our article by clicking here.
Summary of Benefits
- Speed up muscle recovery after a workout
- Relaxation and wellness
- Pain reduction
The Specs: What’s In The Box?
Each purchase of the TimTam Power Massager includes the following:
- The Power Massager unit. The powerful motor is industrial grade and capable of producing 2500 strokes per minute. It measures 6 ½ inches x 7 ⅞ inches and weighs a very light 2.2 pounds.
- A removable and easy-to-clean Standard Round Therapy Tip. Although the unit only comes with one rubber tip, other attachments are available for purchase from TimTam. Attachments may be made from rubber or metal. The articulating head can be adjusted from the traditional 90° position to a flat 180° for hard to reach areas of the body.
- A removable and rechargeable 12-Volt Li-Ion battery. One full charge is good for a 20- to 30-minute uninterrupted session. It might not seem like enough but 5 minutes with the TimTam Power Massager is approximately the equivalent of 30 minutes with a professional massage therapist in terms of recovery improvement. The battery will hold a charge for up to 30 days.
- A charging station. The charger can be used for 110v and up to 240v outlets. The battery takes 45-50 minutes to fully charge. The batteries are removable, and if you need to you could purchase additional batteries from the manufacturer.
- A premium black carrying case. Fit the unit and attachments, including the battery and charger in a compact zippered case. The case is made out of an easy to clean material with the brand logo embossed on its cover. With everything packed in the case, it will weigh 3.3 pounds, making the TimTam easy to bring anywhere.
Summary Of The Specs
To recap, here’s what you get with the TimTam:
- one power massager
- one standard round therapy massager tip made of rubber
- one rechargeable 12-Volt battery
- one charging station
- a premium black carrying case.
Watch this video to see what the massager looks like:
The Extras: Attachments And Accessories
Here are the additional accessories and attachments that can be bought individually.
- Trigger Point Metal Tip – Made out of aircraft-grade aluminum, it is TimTam’s most precise tip. It’s used to loosen muscles in problem areas using the trigger point technique.
- Warm Up Metal Tip – Also made of aircraft-grade aluminum. This metal tip’s flat surface is great for warming up muscle groups before a workout. It also gives a firmer massage than the standard rubber ball attachment.
- Round Cold Tip – This attachment is made out of silicone and works similar to the standard rubber ball attachment. It can be placed in the freezer until ready to use.
- Round Hot Tip – Same as the Cold Tip, this is also made out of silicon. Microwave for 15 seconds before using. The heat helps to loosen the muscles and increase blood circulation.
- Recovery Blade – This tool was designed with the help of Andreas Olesen, a leading figure in physiotherapy and recovery. The tool incorporates 4 Graston massage techniques in each of its 4 edges. It is made out of aluminum with a beveled edge for safe and comfortable use.
All accessories easily attach to the TimTam Power Massager by screwing on the attachment to the articulating head.
Replacement batteries and battery chargers are also available from the manufacturer.
The TimTam Power Massager comes with a 1-year limited warranty upon purchase.
The manufacturer also lets you try out the massager risk-free for 30 days and will give a full refund if you return the massager within the 30-day window.
The Pros: The Advantages Of The TimTam Power Massager
Here are the things we like about the TimTam when we tested it.
- It works. We found this percussive massager to be really effective for loosening stiff muscles, improving recovery time, and reducing pain/soreness.
- Material is of premium quality. There is a solidness and weight in the product, and the material used for the unit doesn’t break easily and is not brittle.
- The threaded shaft attachment ensures the tip stays attached. There is no worry the attachment will fall off or become loose even after long periods of use.
- Convenient and transportable. Everything packs into a neat little package with the custom carrying case. There are compartments inside so the parts are not rattling around the case. It’s also very light at 4.4 pounds.
- Saves time. The TimTam can be used immediately after a workout, no more waiting in line or waiting your turn.
- Save money. Massages are expensive and if you get one after every workout, you will likely go broke. This massager is equivalent to a professional massage at a fraction of the cost. Also, the TimTam offers the most value (price + value) out of all the percussion massagers we’ve tested.
Summary Of Advantages:
- It’s very effective for promoting relaxation, recovery, and pain reduction.
- Materials are premium quality.
- The threaded shaft attachment ensures the tip stays attached.
- Convenient and transportable.
- Saves time.
- Saves money.
The Cons: The Disadvantages Of The TimTam Power Massager
These are the points we see the TimTam could improve on:
- The motor gets loud. This is essentially a power tool and it makes as much noise as one. The noise just drowns out conversations and the TV.
- There is only one speed. The one speed is powerful and very effective, but different speed options would make massager even better.
- Battery life could be longer. You get 20 minutes of battery life after a full charge. Although I find that’s all the time I need, it would be nice if could last a bit longer.
- Attaching the tips takes a bit of fiddling. The threaded shaft is used to securely attach the tip to the articulating head but it takes time to screw and unscrew those things. A secure snap-on, snap-off design would be a nice addition to the next version.
- The articulating head is short. As with most jigsaw-style percussion massagers on the market the articulating head is short, making it tough to reach your mid-back if you’re doing a DIY massage. You can still get your shoulders and most of your back (upper, lower and sides), but reaching the mid-back by yourself is a bit of a challenge. If you have someone else using the massager on you this is not an issue at all.
Summary Of Disadvantages:
- The motor gets loud.
- There is only one speed.
- Battery life is short.
- Attaching the tips takes a bit of fiddling.
- The articulating head is too short.
How To Use The TimTam Percussion Massager?
Before using the percussion massager first check to see that the battery has a charge.
If the LED light is red, it means the battery is charging, while a green light indicates a fully-charged battery.
The unit has a trigger as its power switch.
Pulling on the trigger turns on the unit and will make the articulating head move.
Releasing the trigger will stop the massager.
Attach the round therapy tip by aligning the hole of the therapy tip with the shaft and turn to screw on the attachment.
Place the therapy tip above the area you wish to massage and pull the trigger.
Adjust the pressure by pressing on the area with the tip.
Note: Adding pressure lets you control how deep the massage can go but this also uses more battery power.
Do not use the therapy tip in a general area for more than 60 seconds to avoid bruising and soreness.
Move the location of the therapy tip until you have massaged the entire area.
Release the trigger to turn off the unit.
Wash and clean the therapy tip and thoroughly dry before storing.
How Often Should You Use it?
The massager may be used daily.
The general rule is to use the therapy tip for no more than 60 seconds in a given area.
As mentioned earlier, applying the unit to the same exact location of the body for long periods will likely lead to muscle soreness and bruising.
A session should also be not more than 5 minutes in a general area, as the machine is quite powerful.
Remember, a 5-minute session is the equivalent of a 30-minute traditional massage session.
Although very rare there are some cases when massage can have some side effects.
Who Shouldn’t Use The TimTam Power Massager?
Percussion massagers are safe to use but if you have any of the symptoms or issues below it’s not recommended that you use the TimTam:
- High blood pressure
- Open wounds or sores on the area to be massaged
- Severe deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and edema
- If you are taking blood thinners
Aside from these conditions, there are also certain areas where you shouldn’t use the TimTam massager period.
These areas include the pulse points were major arteries are found – the sides of the neck (carotid artery), the insides of the elbow (brachial artery), the wrists (radial artery), the groin (femoral artery), behind the knees (popliteal artery), near the ankle (posterior tibial artery), and on the foot (dorsalis pedis artery).
Do not use the Power Massager on the head as it could cause concussions.
The left side of the chest area over the heart, and along the spine are off-limits as well because of its vulnerable nature.
The Verdict: Should You Get One Or Not?
If you’re in the market for a percussion massager but you can’t afford the premium-priced brands then we definitely recommend the TimTam Power Massager 1.5.
You’ll save over 50% compared with the TimTam percussion massager compared to other percussion massagers like the TheraGun and Hypervolt.
The TimTam Power Massager battery lasts 20 minutes, but that is enough time to get a good massage session in.
With massage longer therapy sessions doesn’t always equate with better healing.
It’s the quality of the massage that matters, and the TimTam offers quality with its massage speed of 2500 per minute.
In terms of how well-built the unit is, its power, and its therapeutic benefits, the TimTam Power Massager v1.5 can go head to head with its higher-priced competitors.