Hyperice Hypervolt Review – Does It Live Up To The Hype?
The Hypervolt by Hyperice is a hyped and popular percussion massager, but at the same time, it’s very unique and different from its competitors.
Hyperice has deviated from the jigsaw look of its competitors.
Does this make the Hypervolt better than its competitors?
Let’s find out!
What Is The Hyperice Hypervolt?
The Hypervolt is Hyperice’s version of the handheld personal massager.
Similar to the other handheld percussion massagers we have reviewed, see here and here, the Hypervolt looks like a power tool; but unlike its competition, the Hypervolt uses vibration instead of percussion to massage.
Compared to its competitors the Hypervolt’s price point is in the middle of the pack.
The Hypervolt boasts a powerful motor that can produce 3200 revolutions per minute, with 3 speed settings.
Though its engine is powerful, the Hypervolt has a technology called Quiet Glide™ which makes the device much quieter than its competitors.
So if you’re using this device at home and you’re concerned about the noise level then you should have a hard look at the Hypervolt.
Used at its highest speed setting, the Hypervolt is still much quieter than the Theragun G3PRO.
The Hypervolt is great for warming up your muscles before a workout.
It increases blood flow during warm-up for a wider range of motion and less workout-related injuries.
Using the Hypervolt post-workout helps relieves stiffness and soreness, and speeds up myofascial release.
Where On The Body Can You Use The Hypervolt?
The Hypervolt can be used all over the body, wherever there are muscle tension and stiffness.
Hypervolt is great for accelerating warm-up and recovery.
There are many ways to do a warm-up – you can stretch, walk, do yoga asanas or a bunch of other routines.
But in today’s fast-paced world, getting something done faster and producing better results is an advantage and often a necessity.
Using the Hypervolt for a few minutes before a workout or training to prep the muscles to relax, increases blood circulation, and provide lubrication to tendons and joints for a wider range of motion.
There’s also active recovery where you hone in on specific muscles or areas of the body that are particularly sore, which the Hypervolt is great at.
Using the varied attachments the Hypervolt comes with, target the muscle groups that get the most pounding like the chest; the lats, traps, and spinal erectors in the back; biceps, triceps, and deltoids in the arms; your abdominals; and the hamstrings, quads, glutes, and calves for the legs.
Treating the soreness immediately after a workout decreases lactic acid and speeds up self-myofascial release.
30 seconds on a sore muscle is enough to bring pain relief and trigger myofascial release, and a whole body percussion massage would take 15-20 minutes.
Who Can Benefit From The Percussion Massager?
Self-massagers are often marketed towards endurance athletes, therapists and frequent gym goers, and the Hypervolt is no exception.
With that said, muscle pain and tension can also come from repetitive tasks that people do every day like working on the computer all day.
The Hypervolt helps with this as well.
Whether you are a gamer with carpal tunnel; a runner with shin splints; a weekend-warrior who’s sore from an intense HIIT session, or an athlete who needs to recover asap for the next game, all will benefits from using the Hypervolt, because the Hypervolt excels in providing pain relief and accelerating recovery.
Since the Hypervolt is portable and easy to use, it can be used at the gym, at home or at the office.
Wellness clinics with physical therapists, chiropractors, and trainers use this machine since it’s professional grade and super effective in getting the job done.
What Are The Benefits of Using A Hyperice Hypervolt?
The Hypervolt provides the following benefits:
- Increases circulation. Using the Hypervolt on a particular area increases blood flow to the area. This leads to an increase in body temperature, which is useful as a warm up before you start exercising or before practice.
- Helps the body flush out toxins. The Hypervolt helps the lymphatic system drain lymph fluid from the body and reduces lactic acid build up from the muscles, which speeds up recovery.
- Promotes faster recovery. Time is money, as they say, and in our fast-paced life, we appreciate things that can help us get results quicker and easier. As mentioned several times already, the Hypervolt speeds up recovery, which is why professional athletes use percussion massagers like the Hypervolt daily.
- Relieves muscle soreness and stiffness. The Hypervolt is extremely effective for relieving muscle soreness and tension. The percussions, or blows, forces the myofascia– the connective tissue throughout the body that support the muscles and bones– to relax. Pain lessens when the myofascia is released.
- Stimulates the central nervous system. The vibration essentially distracts the pain receptors in your nerves from sending pain signals to the brain. Pain is lessened, the muscles relax and recover, and there is no need for pain medication or muscle relaxants.
- Increases range of motion. Stretching and warm-up keep your muscles limber, using the Hypervolt will increase your flexibility and allow you to train better, beat personal records, and get more done.
The Hypervolt is covered by a 1-year limited warranty.
Summary Of Hyperice Hypervolt Benefits
To sum it up, the Hypervolt provides these benefits:
- Increases circulation
- Helps the body flush out toxins
- Stimulates faster recovery
- Relieves muscle soreness and stiffness
- Stimulates the central nervous system
- Increases range of motion
And here’s a video on the other great benefits of using a percussion device as explained by a sports physician.
What Do You Get When You Buy The Hyperice Hypervolt?
Here’s what you get when purchasing the Hyperice’s Hypervolt:
- The Hypervolt vibration massage therapy device. The device has a powerful high-torque motor featuring Quiet Glide™ technology, that actually makes the machine really quiet. It registers 60 to 65 decibels at its highest setting compared to 75 for the Theragun. The high-torque motor can produce up to 3200 revolutions per minute. With 3 speeds, you can start at the lowest setting with 2000 rpm and work your way up to 3200. The unit has a simple clean design with a flat base. The base allows you to stand the device when you’re not using it. The weight is 2.5 pounds making the device ultra-portable.
- Four head attachments that pop off and are easily interchangeable.
- 1 Ball attachment – This attachment is the best to start with. It provides a larger surface area to make contact with the skin and has a softer surface with some give.
- 1 Fork attachment – This tip is best to target specific areas in a muscle group. The tines of the fork are able to reach trigger points.
- 1 Bullet attachment – Also used for trigger points or muscles that would require the pressure of a thumb, like in areas in the lower back.
- 1 Dampener attachment – This attachment is flat and is used for muscle groups that are densely packed.
- One rechargeable 24-Volt battery that provides long battery life. A single charge will last your battery 3 hours of use, which is exceptional! The battery is one the big side, but is placed around the handle area on the devic, which isn’t a problem. The battery also has its own power switch at the bottom and a battery life indicator.
- One charging cord and power supply. Since the Hypervolt’s battery is quite large it takes 6 hours to fully charge, but it provides 3 hours of continuous power, which is perfect for therapists that need to use the device on multiple clients throughout the day.
Summary Of What’s Inside The Box
- Hypervolt vibration massage therapy device
- Four head attachments – ball, fork, bullet, and dampener
- One rechargeable 24-Volt battery
- One charging cord and power supply
And here’s a video of a product unboxing.
Hyperice Hypervolt’s Accessories (Additional Cost)
- Hypervolt Case – You don’t get a case when you buy the Hypervolt. I appreciate the cost saving since most people don’t need or care for a case. However, if you do need a case you can purchase one for an additional cost.
- Hypervolt Battery – Hypervolt’s battery is powerful and can store enough juice to 3 continuous hours of use. If your a therapist, an extra battery may be handy.
- Hypervolt Charging Base – This base is pretty cool, as it charges your Hypervolt without having to remove the battery from the unit. This is not necessary, but cool nonetheless. It’s very sleek with a chrome finish, and comes with its own wall charger and cord.
- Hypervolt Applicator set – If you’ve worn out your head attachments you can buy another set with all 4 original attachments included.
The Pros: The Advantages Of The Hyperice Hypervolt
- Lightweight and portable. The unit weighs 2.5 pounds. It’s really light and will not tire out your arms as you work it over your sore spots. The design is unique compared to some of its competitors, it doesn’t look like a glorified power tool.
- Sleek and intuitive design with no extra parts sticking out. There’s a power switch that lets you toggle through the speeds and a light indicator to tell you what setting you are in. It also has a power indicator bar to tell you how much juice your battery has left. The chrome finish gives the whole device a polished look.
- Attachment heads pop on and off making even those with limited grip strength able to switch attachments. Saves time and lets you get on with the massage.
- Portable. You can bring and use this device anywhere, and its long-lasting 2400 mAh battery encourages you to bring it everywhere since it lasts so long.
- Long battery life. As just mentioned, the Hypervolt 2400 mAh provides long-lasting continuous power. The battery has a wide and flat base which makes the device stand upright. Another nice feature for the battery is you don’t need to remove it to charge. Just power off, stick the charger into the charger port, and plug the wall charger.
- Comes with a complete set of attachments. No need to buy additional attachments because everything is included in the set. You have the option to buy attachment sets when you need to replace your original or if you don’t want to share (for hygiene reasons).
- A powerful and high torque motor that can power up to 3,200 percussions per minute. It also has 3 speed settings, which the competitors do NOT have.
- Quiet motor. The best thing about this powerful motor is its Quiet Glide™ Technology. It’s so quiet! It’s just a soft whirring sound and nothing like the obnoxious noises its competitors make.
Summary Of Advantages:
- Lightweight and portable
- Sleek and intuitive design
- Easy attachment head replacement
- Long battery life
- Complete set of attachments
- Powerful and high-torque motor
- Very quiet motor
The Cons: The Disadvantages Of The Hyperice Hypervolt
- No carrying case. Most people don’t need a case, but it would have been nice if it came with one. You can purchase a case for an additional fee.
- The massage arm is short and doesn’t have the option to extend or change angles. More expensive percussion massagers have adjustable arms. Adjustable arms makes it a bit easier to reach certain body parts like your calves without have to bend or twist your body as much. You can still reach the areas you want to reach it’s just that the adjustable arms give you more options as to how you position the massager to hit the targeted muscle.
- The device has 2 power buttons, which is kind of weird. There’s one on the battery’s base and another for the main unit. Not a big deal, but just a little weird and confusing at first.
Summary Of Disadvantages:
- No carrying case
- The massage arm is short and isn’t adjustable
- The device has 2 power buttons
How To Use The Hyperice Hypervolt?
First, you want to charge the battery. Connect the charger to the battery’s charging port and plug the to an outlet.
Let it charge for 6 hours for the battery to be fully powered up, or until the blue LED light is steady, and not pulsating, the percussive device fully charged and ready to go.
To turn it on you have to press two power buttons, press the power button on the bottom of the battery, then press the power button on the massager.
To find the right speed setting for you, toggle through the speed settings by pressing on the power button several times.
Pressing once will turn the device on at speed 1, twice will be speed 2, three times will be speed 3 while pressing 4 times the machine off.
Gently apply the device to the area you want to treat, and then apply more pressure as needed.
To replace the head attachment, turn off the device, pull the attachment and insert a new attachment and press it in.
For battery removal, press on the release button and pull downward.
Removing the battery basically removes half of the unit and its handle; be careful with removing and attaching to avoid damaging the battery’s contact points.
Note: The battery will charge without having to remove it from the rest of the main device.
To clean the percussion machine and the attachments, wipe it with a slightly damp cloth and dry with a soft cloth.
Hyperice recommends you remove the battery and store separately from the main device when traveling.
You can use the box for storage, or the Hypervolt case (sold separately), the Hypervolt is travel-friendly and TSA-Approved as a carry-on.
Here’s are some additional tips on the right attachment to use for a specific body part:
- Use the fork attachment to get in between bony areas like in the feet and forearms.
- The ball attachment can be used on bigger muscle groups such as the quads and traps.
- The flat attachment or the dampener can be used on calves and the chest to cover more surface area and allow for more control.
How Often Should You Use Hyperice Hypervolt?
The Hypervolt recommends 30 seconds on each area before moving on to the next.
Everyone is different but at first you probably don’t want to go over the recommended usage time to avoid more muscle soreness, 15 to 20 minutes is more than enough to cover the whole body.
You can use the Hypervolt immediately after a workout to help with muscle recovery.
But you need to pace yourself to adjust with the speed that will work for you to avoid bruising and other negative effects of massage.
Are Percussion Massagers Safe?
Percussion massagers are absolutely safe to use. Designers and engineers work together to find the balance between beauty and function and also the ideal percussion power that the body can handle.
The Hypervolt can be safely used on the large muscle groups of the body for warming up and recovery. There are areas of the body where it isn’t safe to use it like in the face or in the groin area. For other body parts that may be sensitive, use your discretion.
Who Shouldn’t Use The Hyperice Hypervolt?
You should always seek a medical professional’s advice before doing any kind of massage, whether it’s a traditional massage or massaging device.
This is especially true for those with pre-existing conditions such as:
- Medications that thin the blood
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- High blood pressure
- Enlarged veins and DVT
The Hypervolt can be used as an aid for health and wellness, but it is not a primary treatment for any medical condition.
Because of the powerful motor, it should not be used on pulse points, the head, along the spine, or the groin.
The Verdict: Does The Reality Match The Hype?
We give the Hypervolt a rating of 4 out of 5.
The great things that make this device unique from its competitors is the super quiet motor, it’s 3 speed settings and extra long battery life.
The attachments could be better in terms of the number of attachments available and the material it’s made out of.
The Hypervolt is a good product with a great design and moderate price.
You can learn more about the Hypervolt on Amazon.